Monday, July 7, 2014

My pot luck go-to recipe!


We have one, that go-to recipe that we pull out for every new baby, pot luck and sick friend. Mine is this Asian Chicken Salad! I must say, I haven't been a very good friend lately. Know how I can tell? I haven't made this salad in ages. No parties, and no friendly food drop-offs in far too long.

As stated earlier this year, my goal is to cut back on Modern June/Oilcloth Addict. To spend more time with my family and friends. Less is more, right? Right! Well last week I started putting that to work on a social level.

My dear friend, Christi, recently injured her thumb in a horrific manner (eek) and needed a little TLC! I was pleased as punch when she asked if I could bring up my Asian Chicken Salad and to stay for a visit. This is the salad I brought her when her second son was born nearly 14 years ago (YIKES). It's the same salad that I have taken to many a pot luck as well.
This is my pot luck quantity, cut in half for dinner time.

Asian Chicken Salad
  • 6  boneless chicken breasts, marinated S & P, olive oil and a dash of sesame seed oil
  • 8 oz of thin rice noodles
  • 2 tbs sesame seeds, toasted
  • 1/4 cup of slivered almonds, toasted
  • 4 small heads of romaine lettuce, cut into strips
  • 8 stalks of green onions, chopped

Make rice noodles according to the instructions on package and chill. A quick ice bath is handy if you are running low on time, drain excess water and chop noodles into 2 inch pieces. Grill or pan sear marinated chicken and cut into strips. Toast almonds and sesame seeds in skillet without oil to toast.

Arrange salad into big bowl and top with noodles, chicken, almonds, seeds and onion. Pour on the dressing and toss.

Dressing:
  • 4 tbs of sugar
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
  • 2 tbs of sesame oil 
  • 6 tbs of rice wine vinegar

Here's a handy gadget that I picked up at Sur la Table, the ZipStrip Herb Stripper from Chef'n! OMG, this thing is worth all 800 pennies I spent on it. Check out my son's demo on Instagram!


I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!

xoxo,
Kelly

No comments: