Sunday, February 6, 2011

Q & A: Oilcloth as a BBQ Cover

Question: I have been toying with using oilcloth for a BBQ cover in the winter. Are you aware of pros/cons? How does oilcloth differ from a tarp or vinyl in this regard?

Answer:  I use an oilcloth cover, and I must say it didn't look pretty for long! I made it in the summer of '09. As you can see in the picture, I used the cherry print on white. Over the first winter it became moldy and faded. I can, and have, scrubbed it clean but it's still a faded mess. On a positive note, it's still weather proof, which is why I am still using it.

I've been toying with the idea of using a sunbrella fabric, flat lined with a thin clear vinyl. That way I get a fun print and it'll still be waterproof.

Let me know what you decide to do!

Kelly

3 comments:

Elyse said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!

wrote about my oilcloth again! come see --
http://kidoinfo.com/ri/you-really-can-do-it-yourself-revamp-and-relax-with-oilcloth/

xo
elyse

DebW said...

Love your BBQ cover, but I have another unrelated question. Can you use oilcloth to make a pastry cloth to roll out pastry on. I've heard that it used to be done in the "old days". I'm wondering about the food safety issue about using oilcloth. Which side of the cloth would you roll your pastry on? Any ideas? Thanks, Debbie.

Kelly McCants said...

Debbie, I would not use oilcloth as a pastry cloth. But I'll try out the laminated cotton and see if it works. I'll report back in a few days!!!

thanks, Kelly