Tuesday, November 11, 2008

OCA sewing tip #3---PRESSING OILCLOTH


Oilcloth can not be pressed with an iron in most cases. You can use a very low temp iron on the back side but I really don't suggest it. Trust me, I have had my fair share of accidents.

So how do I get a nice finished look to my oilcloth products? Well, I finger press-- A LOT! I simply use my fingers to create folds and creases while I am sewing. I do this by running my fingers across the oilcloth several times while applying pressure. This heats up the oilcloth and makes it supple and easier to crease.

If I have a lot of layers and some extra time I will place my project under a pile of books.

Note: As in all sewing there is a big difference in pressing and ironing! When working with oilcloth pressing is good, ironing is bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.